Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cream Chicken Casserole


I bought Paul's light thickened cream a week ago at A$0.99 for 300ml. It was on sale but not reduced price (which means it is near expiry). Then on Saturday when I went to Coles to get something, I saw the 600ml light thickened cream for 40cents, but it was expiring the next day. I bought it anyway... and hence thought I will try this dish which requires cream.

The recipe is found here. This must be one of the simpliest casserole dish I have cooked. I did not put the dish/casserole in the oven. The pot I used could be put into the oven but I was lazy and hence I cooked it on the stove for 1 hour on high heat to boil and then on small heat. I turned it off as I had to leave the house. I came home with mushrooms (I didn't have them earlier and I reckon I could add them later anyway), sliced them up and put into the pot and continue to cook for another 30 minutes or so. Before I put the mushrooms in, the meat chicken drumsticks are just near the "fall off the bone" stage. Yum!

Also, for me to cover all the 8 chicken drumsticks (just slightly over 1kg), I made 3x the cream/wine/stock mixture. Quop and I love gravy anyway :) However, on hindsight, that might have made the gravy too watery as more moisture gets into the food as I cover the pot when I cook. So I guess you could actually do with less mixture for a start.

First step: brown the chicken

How it looked like before I covered with the lid and cook for 1 hour (before adding mushrooms)

The pot that I used (I love the glass lid which allows me to see the contents)

The final result served on rice and gravy. The chicken was so tender it falls off the bone. The garlic was so soft and mushy and healthy to eat! (I only ate one as I don't usually like garlic. But I know it helps with cold/flu)

Of course I am still left with some cream... of which I will make a cream sauce marinara pasta tonight!

Postscript: I only just watched the movie "Julie and Julia" and just realised that this recipe is by Julia Child! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I Am A Hungry Student!