Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Roti Jala - A Dish that Impresses


At the first Australia Masterchef last year, one of the contestant Poh made a chicken rendang and lacy pancakes/crepes (which is actually roti jala).

I found the recipe (before I was given the Masterchef cookbook in Dec) in a Peranakan cookbook in Nov and I tried making it for my BIL's birthday. It worked out quite well! My 3yo niece loves just eating the plain pancakes.

On Saturday, I had to bring a dish to a friend's place for lunch. I decided to make roti jala again and used the leftover Singapore chicken curry gravy that I freezed earlier. I cooked 2-3 pieces of chicken thigh fillets in boiling water. When the chicken is cooked, leave it aside to cool. I used my fingers to tear it into shreds of meat and place them into the frozen gravy into a saucepan. Let it boil and then simmer for a few minutes. Turn off the heat and the gravy is good to go. Alternatively, cook up some curry gravy (from instant packets) will do.

Roti jala recipe (makes about 10-12 pancakes)
2 eggs
1 cup plain flour
1 cup coconut milk (I used the lite version)
1 cup milk

Mix everything a mixing bowl until lumps disappear. Sieve the mixture so that it will be a smooth batter.

Now, you probably do not have the roti jala funnel. However you can always improvise. Poh used the paper carton from milk or cream. Simply cut off one corner of the carton. For me, I used a disposable piping bag which I have in my pantry. Hold the bag on top of the fry pan and turn it as in a pendulum movement and draw circles, z's, up and down, left and right.... random ones will do. When you are happy with the lacy design, stop the batter flow. Leave the pancake for another 40 seconds. Then, use your fingers to fold the round pancake into half and then a quarter. Place the pancake on a plate. Continue until all the batter is used up.


This is really simple and fun to make! I am sure your parents and friends will be impressed. This dish will be a conversation topic at gatherings if you bring this :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I Am A Hungry Student!