Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Chicken & Creamed Corn Rice


(contributed by kk)
2 skin-free chicken breasts, diced (or 500g of chicken thigh fillets)
425g can of creamed corn
Frozen peas or mixed diced vegetables (optional, add for colour or to bulk up your meal)
1 clove garlic, crushed (or 1 tsp of store-bought minced garlic)


Season diced chicken with 1/2 tbsp light soya sauce, 1/2 tsp sugar and 1tsp cornflour. (it’s just a guesstimate!)

Heat oil in a fry pan, add crushed garlic, stir until just fragrant (don’t burn it or the whole sauce mixture will turn acrid). Add diced chicken, stir fry until all browned. Add the can of creamed corn, use 1/3 can of water to rinse down the sides and add that to the pot too. Bring mixture to the boil, then lower the heat to simmer for 10 minutes. Follow microwave instructions to defrost the frozen vegetables, add to the pot and again bring to the boil. Season to taste and serve with rice.

This is my weeknight standby recipe – so fast and simple! I always keep a can of creamed corn in the pantry, and when I buy chicken fillets in bulk, I will put aside 500g, dice and season it before freezing, so it’s ready to use once thawed. If your sauce mixture is too runny, thicken with cornflour and water. If you don’t have creamed corn, use a can of condensed chicken and corn, or chicken and mushroom soup. You can add chopped carrot, onion and celery to this recipe, but you’ll have to stir fry and soften them first before cooking the chicken.


My comments: I steamed some broccoli and carrot separately and had it with the dish and rice. I cooked 2 pieces of chicken breast but used double of the seasoning to marinate the chicken. That was my 'guesstimate' too! I reckon you could also use basa fish fillet in place of chicken. You will also have to cut the fillet into small pieces. I shall try it one day....

Quop decided that it was yummy when he was helping to stir fry (before he tasted it). He liked it :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I Am A Hungry Student!