Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Going Italian?

Pasta sauces like these cost about A$3 when they are on sale. So buy a couple to stock up when you meet the sale

When you want to cook pasta, this is one of the quickest and easiest solution - use a pasta sauce that you can just throw in and also add any other ingredients that you have. They could be leftover chicken or can of tuna. I usually cook up some beef mince with mushrooms, carrots, peas and maybe any other veggies that I have. Cook up some spiral pasta at the same time. Mix everything together with pasta bake sauce. Pour everything into an oven-safe dish (I use my trusty Pyrex), sprinkle some grated cheese on top. Bake in oven for about 10 mins or until cheese has browned. You may freeze the leftovers.

Quop and I love pasta bakes... I think it is because of it is different to the usual pasta and sauce. The common brands available are Leggos and Dolmio. It does not bother me which brand I get, so long it is on sale :p I usually also try to look out for things like "no artifical flavours, preservatives", etc. I would compare the sodium levels and buy those that have lower salt content, where possible. On that note, the longer the ingredient list, the more 'processed' the food is and perhaps you might want to think twice about buying it (for health reasons). Flavour enhancer 621 is MSG (and they only list the number and not tell you what it is). I'd try to avoid that where possible. See the list of food additives to avoid.



I have kind of stopped buying pasta sauces, only buying pasta bakes every now and then. The reason is that I realist pasta sauces are really not difficult to cook from scratch and it is healthier too. (I shall enter more recipes in future. Look out for the category on pasta) The new 'friend' I made is Woolies home brand tomato paste. It is cheap (under A$2 for this 500g jar) and versatile. You can use it as a base on pizzas, spread lightly on your bread, use some (plus stock) for your pasta sauce (do not just use this as itself is very salty). This is also an ingredient if you make a beef stew, shepherd's pie, etc. I'd say it is good to stock one in your pantry. But once you open it, you have to keep the jar in the fridge.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I Am A Hungry Student!