Saturday, December 12, 2009

'Steamed ' Basa Fillets

How to have steam fish, quickly and without using a steamer or wok? In the microwave, of course!

Sometimes I buy basa fillets from the supermarkets and just steam it in the microwave. Basa filllets are mostly imported from Vietnam and is a white flesh fish. Prices ranges from A$7-10/kg when they are on sale. Otherwise they cost at least A$12/kg.

Place them in a pyrex glass dish (with a lid). In this case, I added sliced tomatoes (these are the fresh ones which I picked), some mirin (Japanese cooking sweet sake) (you may replace with some shao xing or rice wine, light soy sauce and sesame oil. Sometimes I add preserved plums (comes in a jar, sold in Asian grocery store) in place of tomatoes. Close the lid and cook it away using the Fish section on your microwave. Just wait for it to 'ding'! (FYI, sometimes aussies use 'ding' as a verb meaning 'to microwave'. Eg. Ding the rice, which means "microwave the rice") I have tried salmon too and it works out just as well. :) Except that I will advise to use a lower setting for salmon so that you will not overcook it.

Before the fish is cooked


The cooked fish with some gravy (yum!)

Cooking fish like that saves me from washing another plate or the wok. The pyrex brings me from the microwave oven to the tabletop. :) Another benefit of pyrex.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I Am A Hungry Student!