Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Beef & Mushroom Casserole


Got this recipe off masterchef website but it is no longer there now. Anyway I manage to find it on Campbells website. Here is the recipe.

This is my 2nd time trying this. However this time I have added more veggies into the casserole - potatoes and green capsicum. If you like, you may also add frozen green peas, zucchini, etc. This recipe also uses one of the handy pantry item - tomato paste.

As for mixed herbs, I didn't have them and hence I put in a cocktail of dried thyme, rosemary, basil, oregano, parsley (yes I do have those herbs individually in my pantry). I used beef rump steak (on sale this week for A$9/kg at Coles) and sliced/diced them up (I reckon this cut of beef is inexpensive and good enough for stews, casseroles, rendang, curries. If you want to eat it whole, use it on bbq or fry it up as a steak). Instead of the real beef stock (if on sale, you can buy it A$2.50/L for Campbells brand), I used Massel stock powder to make up some beef stock, which is a much cheaper option than real stock or stock cubes. One jar can make you many litres of stock! (I bought it on sale at Woolies, A$2.47).

This is best served with rice (as in photo above) or with potato mash. Please also do a taste test. The version I made last night was a little low on salt and hence a bit more blend... but it is healthier though :)

This is freezeable for future meals. If you want to freeze, do not add potatoes as they do not thaw well.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I Am A Hungry Student!