Thursday, February 25, 2010

How To Cut Up A Broccoli

Broccoli is a veggie that looks easy to cut but when you really attempt to do it, you will realise that it is really not that simple after all. How do I cut it nicely without much of the flowers falling off? What do I do with the stem, can it be eaten?

(This is how I cut broccoli. This was demonstrated to me by Quop, who learnt it from his mum. However I think this is also how my mum cuts it...)

Wash the veggie. Remove any leaves you see. Using your knife, make a cut where the stem branches out to form a floret.

If the floret is too big, separate it by cutting it at the stem (in photo above). Do not cut the dark green flower part, so that you will not have the flowers coming apart. Cut/separate them to your desired size.

With the main stem, cut off the 2 ends. With the stem standing up (as above), cut off the 'bark' of the stem all around (about 4 sides). You will be left with the above.

Slice the stem as in photo. The inside of the stem is more tender and can be eaten, after removing the tougher stem 'bark'.

Now, you are ready to cook it - stir-fry, steam, boil, microwave.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I Am A Hungry Student!