Sunday, March 14, 2010

Simple Fried Rice

I cooked with prawns and garnished with fried onions and pork floss

This is probably my most successful fried rice of all the few attempts I have made.

(Serves 2-3. Everything is a guesstimate!)
1 cup rice (cooked the day before in rice cooker)
1/2 cup of mixed frozen veggies of peas, corn and carrots
1 tbsp soya sauce
salt to taste
1 tbsp water
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup minced beef / chicken / pork or prawns cut into small pieces
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
garnishes like spring onions, coriander, pork floss, fried onions (optional)

Into a fry pan, add 1/2 tbsp cooking oil. When oil is heated, add egg and spread across the pan. When the omelette is set, turn it over to cook the other side. Remove omelette onto a plate and allow to cool.

Add 1 tbsp cooking oil in the same fry pan. When the oil is heated, add garlic and stir fry for a few secs until the garlic is fragrant. Add minced meat (except for prawns if you have) into the pan until they are browned. Immediately add day-old rice (great for using up leftovers), frozen veggies, water, stock powder. Stir fry for 2-3 mins until the veggies are cooked. If you are using prawns, make a 'well' in the centre of the rice and veggies in the pan and add the prawns. They need not be cooked for too long, just so long as they turn red/orange.

Add soy sauce and enough salt to taste. (If you like it dark, add 1 tsp of dark soya sauce). Plate up the fried rice and garnish it with sliced omelette and other garnishes that you may like. Cut red chillies in soya sauce or preserved green chillies will go well with it :)


I did not use frozen mixed veggies in this attempt. I used frozen peas and I cut up 1/2 carrot into small diced pieces. I remembered I had some corn in the fridge so I thought I will add them as well.

Fried rice is such a versatile dish that you can add any meat/veggies that you like. There are a few flavours you can produce with different seasonings - sweet chilli sauce, chilli sauce, bbq sauce, oyster sauce, plum sauce, satay sauce, curry powder.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I Am A Hungry Student!