Monday, May 17, 2010

Creamy Seafood Chowder

Following the tomato version that I made last month, Tezerina shared a creamy version with me. Her hubby prefers this to the tomato version. I had planned to try it this week but our friend D cooked us a very similar version when we went to their place for dinner last week. Anyway, I thought I would still give it a go and I loved it!
Creamy seafood chowder with homemade crusty garlic bread (in the background)

(Adapted from Taste)
1 onion, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
1 stick celery*, sliced
3 potatoes, peeled, roughly chopped
750ml chicken stock**
1 can corn kernels***
500g marinara mix****
200ml light thickened cream
half a handful of chopped fresh chives (dried chives is fine)
half a handful of chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley (dried parsley is fine)
bread of your choice - try something you have not eaten before

You can buy loose celery sticks that comes like that (in the photo). Buy how ever many you want, so you don't have to worry about having lots left over

Heat a large saucepan or soup pot. When the pot is hot, add a good drizzle of olive oil. (Take note NOT to add olive oil and allow it to heat up too long before you put in other ingredients. It is unlike asian cooking where you add the cooking oil and allow it to heat up) Add onion, carrot and celery and cook until fragrant. Add potatoes, water and chicken stock. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10-15 mins until the veggies are tender. Cool the mixture slightly and blend (I used a convenient stick blender) until smooth. Return soup to the pot.

Add corn kernels, marinara mix and cream. Stir without boiling for about 3 mins or until seafood is cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir through chives and parsley. Serve immediately with toasted bread. (I love garlic bread)


*You may buy loose celery sticks from supermarkets. However, the most common ones are whole celery or half celery. I bought the loose ones since I hardly use celery (I don't like them unless they are soft, cooked and tasteless). I did not want to have lots left over and end up not using them. They cost me A$2.67/kg at Woolies.

**I used 2 tsp of Massel stock powder and 1 L of water. Alternatively, use store-bought liquid stock. Use fish stock if you can get hold of it.

***I didn't have any corn at home and I didn't want to pop by the supermarket just to buy a can of corn. I used a can of cannellini beans which I had in my pantry. I also decided to throw in some frozen peas at the last minute to boost my vegetable intake.

****Marinara mix was on sale at 50% off of $7+/kg at Woolies last week.

What we had last week at D's place. Her recipe is very similar except that hers is thicker. I think I added a bit too much water in mine :p

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I Am A Hungry Student!