Saturday, February 13, 2010

Lebanese Bread & Pizzas

"Made from unbleached flour, this circular-shaped flatbread is typically used to wrap hot kebabs but also makes the ideal cheat's base for homemade pizza." Donna Hay Magazine Jun/Jul 2009

Before I read the above, I have already been using lebanese bread as my cheat pizza base at home. I love thin crust pizzas and this is a good, almost-near substitute for it. I will only pay at most A$2 for a pack of 5 wholemeal ones. When they are really cheap (sometimes at Cocos at Market Square), you may find them for close to A$1 for that same pack of 5.

Buy them when they are cheap and either:
  1. freeze them with a paper towel in between each piece; or
  2. make up 5 pizzas (or however many bread you buy), bake/cook them. Allow them to cool before freezing the entire pizza or pack into single portions (depending how much you eat each meal) in freezer bags and freeze them. You can take them out when you want an instant meal. Pizzas can be heated up from frozen(preferably in the oven as microwaving them will make the base soggy) and you will be able to have a meal in minutes!

We made our own pizzas last Tuesday night (this is probably cheaper and healthier than cheap Dominos pizzas on Tuesdays). I decided to make 2 different toppings on 1 pizza (lebanese bread). The left (in photo) was tomato paste, ham (from the deli) and cheese (I omitted the pineapple) and the right was (homemade) basil pesto, (leftover from the night before) chicken shreds, cherry tomatoes (from my garden), (leftover from some time ago) fetta cheese. For such pizzas, it only took 10 mins in my oven at about 180C.

Use any leftover meats, etc, that you have. Be creative! If you like thin crust pizza, using lebanese bread to make your own pizza would be a winner!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I Am A Hungry Student!