Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pumpkin, Carrot & Spinach Soup


Dwjl has made this soup a couple of times. I tried this tonight and had it with toasted bread (and butter spread). I agree that it is really simple, tasty and healthy (there is no oil in the cooking!)


(contributed by Dwjl but I tweaked it a bit)
(serves 4)
1/4 cut pumpkin (Jap, Kent or Butternut) - I think I used almost 1kg of pumpkin!
3 carrots, sliced
1 onion - halved and quarterd
4 cloves (sections) garlic 
3 chunks of frozen spinach (depending on how much you like)
2 tsp of Massel vegetable stock powder (or any other brand)
2 tsp (or to your taste) of salt (you will probably need to put more if you did not add stock powder)
  1. In medium saucepan, add carrots with about 1L of water*. 
  2. Remove seeds and cut the pumpkin into 1" thick chunks - this will help you mash it later.  Some people don't like the skin but I leave it on as it has lots of nutrition and fibre, and it's yummy!
  3. As water boils, add pumpkin, spinach, onions and garlic.
  4. As pumpkin softens, turn heat down to a simmer and cover.
  5. Simmer for about 10-15mins.
  6. Turn heat off and mash the pumpkin in the pot. If you have a stick blender or blender, it will help in the job :)
  7. Add salt / pepper to taste.  Nice with bread.  For a creamy pumpkin soup, try adding some cream or milk!
Preparation time: 15mins, total cooking time: 30mins
Cost: $3 or 50c per bowl 


*If you have ready chicken stock or vegetable stock to use, go ahead and use it as a substitute. I reckon it will be more flavoursome.

Further comments from Dwjl: I am going to start a new "tradition" of having soup day aka "detox day" for one day a week.  It will be the day of the week where I eat no meat, no msg, no take-away, no refined flour, etc.  You know how usually you cannot avoid these things when you dine out or on weekends, when you go to parties and are tempted by yummy cakes, etc? Wednesday is my new detox soup day!  It was good!  Only cost around $3 to feed me for a whole day and my fellow college mate got some too!  Pumpkin is low in GI and gives great energy!


If you want to 'detox' like Dwjl, please do not use chicken stock. Massel stock powder has no msg or trans fat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I Am A Hungry Student!